Monday, October 7, 2013

Where You Invest Your Love, You Invest Your Life...

What a whirlwind the last 2 weeks have been.  Oy.

Last Friday, my Grandma Ma passed away.  Though I am so happy for her because she is in heaven now, where she so longed to be, I am really going to miss her.  She was probably the most excited person in my whole family when I started flying.  Back in her day, Flight Attendants (or stewardesses, if you will) were pretty legit & THE job to have.  She especially loved when I sent postcards from my travels; Ma lived in assisted living and loved showing off those postcards to pretty much anyone who would listen for a minute.  At one point she even told me people gathered around her mailbox "to see where Angie has been today".  Pretty sure that one might have been a bit of an exaggeration...for those of you that knew & loved her, you know she was good at spinning a tiny little tale.  In any case, she always loved to have a reason to show off her grandkids.  Each time she would get a new postcard, she would call & want to chat about it. Just like when I would have a few weeks off (so that meant no postcards) she would also call to let me know she hadn't received one in awhile & was wondering what happened to me (hint, hint). Doing this little thing made her so happy, that I found it made me happy too.  It was fun picking out the perfect postcard in between flights.  Sometimes I would have the rest of my crew write "hello" to her on them  as well just so she felt extra special.  One of my best friends, Katie, even started sending them to her from time to time.  She loved this gesture so much that she saved every one of those postcards.  When she passed, it was one of the 3 things I asked for - I wanted those postcards back.  You know what? Reading over all of them was like going through a little journal of all of my travels & brought smiles to my face.  The really fun ones are when I first started flying & everything was so new still & such an adventure.  I am so happy she kept them, that she loved them so much, that is was something special between the 2 of us & that something that took so little on my end brought her so much joy.

This crazy little job also allowed for Cassie (my sister) & Laila (my niece) to make it home for the funeral.  For those of you who don't know, Cassie has Cystic Fibrosis & is currently on the double lung transplant list in Wisconsin.  This means Cass doesn't really get to leave the state - unless she removes herself from the list (so clearly we encourage her to not leave the state).  Plus, a 6 hour car ride would probably be too much on her right now; especially with Laila.  Thanks to the perks at work, Cassie is already listed as my travel companion & is able to fly standby.  Thanks to Lucy (remember that gorgeous redhead I was super intimidated by in my last blog but ended up totally adoring), we were able to get Laila home on one of her Buddy Passes as well.  Last minute we threw them on a plane & 45 minutes later both of my favorite gals were in DTW where they both so badly wanted to be!  THANK YOU again , Lucy!!


Laila has been asking me for months now when she can "ride on one of Aunt Ang's planes".  Apparently from the moment Cass & Jer told her she was going to do just that, she wouldn't stop talking and was super geeked out.  From what I hear, she was also pretty taken with flying - Cass said she was happy to just sit in her window seat, eat crackers & watch the view.  At one point she did look down at the clouds and ask if they were in heaven...oh childlike faith.  It makes my heart happy that because of where I work & what I do, these 2 are able to have easier access to get home when they need to.  What a blessing!

To finish off my blog, I just got home last night from my first DTW based trip!!!!!  It is SO GOOD to be back in "The D"!  It was a nice, easy trip with a super laid back crew that all got along & worked well together. Maybe my emotions were still a bit raw with it being my first trip back since Ma passed, because there were a few little old ladies that made me nostalgic for a minute and a bit weepy eyed...and I got sad when I habitually went to grab a postcard & realized I don't have her to send them to anymore; so I was very happy there was no commuting to & from NYC (stressful) & that my crew were all grown adults that acted professionally & were easy to get along with.


Ahhh....the feeling of not having to worry about a commute home, but to just finish a trip, get in my car & drive to my bestie's for frozen yogurt.  Here's hoping the whirlwind subsides for a bit...but anyone in this industry knows that the only consistency about flying is there is NO consistency.  Time will tell what life is going to throw at me next - until then, keeping my eyes to the sky & trying to stay grounded.

"In these bodies we will live, in these bodies we will die
And where you invest your love, you invest your life."

- "Awake My Soul" by Mumford & Sons

No comments:

Post a Comment