I bet you're wondering why I am standing in front of a staircase with a nerdy cheeser grin on my face, aren't you? Well....that isn't any staircase! That is a staircase on a Boeing 747! I finally got to work on one! Yep, this was a pretty cool "first" for me.
Why you ask was I on a 747? Another "first" - I was sent to ICN (Seoul, South Korea) on my Adays. Told you those adays come in handy sometimes (wink). To date, this is the longest flight I have worked; over 13 hours going there. I was so tired when we got in - after working for those 13 hours we then had to walk through the world's largest airport, go through customs & make an hour long drive to the hotel. Somehow I made it into bed, but don't ask me how. There was also the 13 hour time difference to contend with...which means I was up at 3AM ready to start the day.
| Bigger planes don't mean bigger crew rest facilities. Damn. |
Exploring Seoul was fun. It was no Europe, but it was such a cool experience nonetheless. This was by far the most difficult city for me to navigate - in other countries I can make out pieces of the language & read where to go on the Subway and what not. Korean symbols on the other hand...ummm...I'm dum.
The things I noticed were that hygiene out there isn't what I would like...people do alot of ear digging, nose picking, loogie spitting right in the open (and without sanitizing afterwards). Gack! I did manage to go to this little area of town know for it's shopping & got some good deals on little gifts for some loved ones. Oh, and a silk robe for myself. The cute old woman who sold it to me talked me out of the aqua one: "old ladies here in Korea only ones wear bright. You no want to look old." Alrighty then...dark green it is! At least I managed to get a good price out of her because she thought I was pretty haha.
| Pretty much love this robe |
Due to the rain & cold weather (squishy shoes are not a good look), I was back in my room by 5PM, fighting the urge to go to sleep. The next day was going to bring another 13 hour flight back home. Ugh...the flight home. MEH! First off, the airport security in Korea was CONVINCED I was packing a knife in my flight bag. 3 times they rifled through my bag, pulled more crap out, then sent it back through the scanner. 3 TIMES!!! Do you know how annoying that is!? Especially since that bag is put together like a puzzle of crap I need - it all goes in "just so". Not happy. I also sliced my mouth open while eating. Yes, with a spoon. The world's most evil spoon that was more like a knife than anything I had in my flight bag! The irony of this was too much for me.
I also had some VERY rude nonrevenue passengers to contend with. My thought regarding them is that if you are lucky enough to have benefits where you don't pay for your seat, you should probably mind your manners. Like, don't argue with me over the fact that we only have 2 reds to choose from. Or send your meal back 3 separate times because you don't like any of them. Not making any friends that way! It's a good way to piss off a flight attendant & lose those benefits when she writes the company (no, I didn't do it but I REALLY wanted to).
While we are on passengers, this also reminds me of some jetiquette that needs to be addressed. PLEASE oh PLEASE, if you need to get your flight attendant's attention, don't poke her/him. It's like people intentionally find the spots you are the softest and jab that finger right on in there. To be fair, I don't like when strangers touch me in general, but when their touch leaves me feeling like the Pillsbury dough boy...just, let's not go there. Try raising your arm while I pass & say "excuse me you very lovely & charming flight attendant, I am sorry to trouble you with my neediness but is there any way I can get (insert object of desire here) when you have a free moment. Even if that moment isn't right now. By the way, did I mention how utterly gorgeous you are?" If that is too much for you to recall, you try a simple "miss" (sans attitude) with your hand up so I can tell who needs me. Works like a charm.
Anyways, I am back in the states now & trying to get over this jet lag. I've got it BAD. I was hoping to go for a "first's" hat trick & not take a nap when I got home...but apparently that didn't happen because I woke up face down in a pillow 3 hours after the fact. At least I made it up the stairs...they may not be on a fabulous 747 but they do lead to my bed in my own room & that is alright by me.
"You see, I can be myself now finally
In fact, there's nothing I can't be
I want the world to see" ~ Hey Soul Sister by Train
No comments:
Post a Comment